Saturday | November 10, 2018 | 6 pm
LOWDEN: Armed Forces Salute
LILI BOULANGER: D’un matin de printemps (Of a Spring Morning)
CHRIS BRUBECK: The Blues and Beyond
SAINT-SAËNS: Symphony No. 3, “Organ”
- Lowden’s Armed Forces Salute. . . a patriotic tribute honoring the men and women who have served our country
- Boulanger’s D’un matin de printemps. . . beautiful, joyous, masterfully orchestrated with a spirited ending
- Chris Brubeck’s The Blues and Beyond. . . a jazzy blend of powerful, sweeping rhythms contrasted by melancholy, contemplative themes
- Saint-Saëns’s “Organ” Symphony. . . a rich sumptuous integration of tunes, colors, and kaleidoscopic themes across a dramatic and expressive musical spectrum
- Multi-talented performer, teacher and conductor Cooper Walden has played trumpet since high school and has performed internationally in Salzburg and Erl, Austria, South Korea and Russia.
- Christopher Brubeck is a member of one of America’s most accomplished musical families – the son of noted jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck. When Chris was born, Dave Brubeck wrote for him the composition “Crazy Chris.” As award-winning composer and musician, Chris had created an impressive body of symphonic work – a fusion of classical and jazz..
- Robert Lowden is one of the best known modern day composers and arrangers for symphony orchestras, big bands, and jazz ensembles. Lowden was a prolific composer and he penned over 400 advertising jingles in his long career, but orchestras and bands know him for his many arrangements of popular and show tunes. Lowden played trumpet and trombone.
- Lili Boulanger accomplished much during her short life. At 19 she was the first female winner of the Prix de Rome – at the time, the greatest prize for composing. This piece is one of her last before her untimely death at age 24.
- Saint-Saëns was child prodigy on the piano, he gave his first recital in 1846 at the age of 11. While chiefly remembered for his symphonic poems, he was also a gifted writer of criticism, poetry, essays, and plays.
Dr. & Mrs. Stuart Jacobs/Downey Brand LLP | Phillip & Anne Berolzheimer and The Coastal Barrier Island Foundation
Dr. & Mrs. Francis Ghidoni | Stockton Symphony Alliance